Monday, June 29, 2015

Searching for Souls Together

Monday, June 29, 2015
Batam, Indonesia

I've been wanting to write this particular post for a few days...

I need to take a chance to give a shoutout to my teammates and thank the Lord for them! We are all a bunch of goofy, nerdy weirdos who love Jesus! We love to laugh; we love to serve; and, we love to have fun! John, Jason, Chris, Lucas, me.

Jason, Lucas, Chris, me

Just over a week ago, I hardly knew any of them. I met Lucas through my brother a few months ago and he, with John's (team leader) blessing, extended an invite to join the trip. But it wasn't until I arrived at the airport in Dallas that I met the others.

Many (possibly most) people would be terrified to travel the world with strangers, but it was never really a concern for me. The Lord must've given me a supernatural peace about it; after all, it's just another part of the adventure!

In His providence, I feel like I've known these wonderful people for years! It's like traveling with family. We laugh constantly. Our vastly different senses of humor mesh so perfectly that explosions of laughter are around every corner of the journey. There's no shortage of playfulness and joking. Yet, while we enjoy cutting each other down in the most playful ways, we have immense respect and admiration for each other.

I'm amazed at the unity the Lord expresses through us. We work together seamlessly. I am struck, looking back on this week, by how well we flow together as we work. Whenever someone needed help or backup or support in their teaching, another team member was there as if he had previous knowledge of the need. We always have each others' backs. Our gifts fit perfectly together like a puzzle to create something spectacular that would not be possible with only individual, separate pieces. Where one is weak another is strong.

This is rare. It is rare to have a team that enjoys each other's company 24/7, that does not have any serious conflict, and that works together so well. It is even more rare to have this kind of team when the members did not meet until the day of the trip. We are so fortunate, and I attribute this only to the GRACE of our Lord, Jesus Christ! Seriously!

I truly believe this tight knitting is because we are all filled with the Holy Spirit. In Ephesians we are told to "be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace" (4:2-3). This is what we do. But it is not by our own power. We, through Grace, have the Spirit with us. As we ask for the Lord to fill us more and more, we exude His fruit, His character - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). This is how we bear with one another in love and how we are able to remain united - through the Power of the Spirit.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to learn from my brothers in Christ. I am thankful the Lord was faithful to provide for this trip, especially since I could've been walking in to a chaotic team situation. I thank Him that He is wanting to use us for His glory. He wants to bless us, yes, and that is definitely a reason for His provision, but He also wants to use us for the glory of His name and for that we need unity.

I want to thank each of my teammates for his faith, desire to serve the Lord, and love. If nothing else, they have made this trip totally worth it!

"I in them and You in Me - so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that You sent Me and have loved them even as You have loved Me." John 17:23


No comments:

Post a Comment