Saturday, July 25, 2015

Soul Searching As A Woman

As we finished our last session with the kids in Niki Niki, we gathered outside under the bright, sun-filled, gorgeous blue sky. Standing in the dirt surrounded by rich green palm trees, all the kiddos  posed with us (the team) for a group picture. We smiled for several shots. As soon as the group pictures were over, the little girls turned around to me and emphatically yelled in Bahasa Indonesia (their native language). I was clueless until Henok said to me, "they want a picture!" So we took a picture, just me and the girls and a few boys who wanted in.

The next day, our team ventured - which I use with emphasis on the daring, risk-taking meaning of the word - out to the Anglican church in Niki Niki to teach a confirmation class. The class had about 20 candidates. Some of the kids from our English lessons were hanging around, too. After the class they provided us some hospitality with food and coconut water then, again, we took photos. The older women of the community flocked to me. They all wanted to shake my hand. They all watched me as I ate and drank and interacted with my team members. As we took photos, they held my hands, hugged me, touched my face and told me "pretty." During the group photos, I had one woman holding my right hand/arm, another hugging me from the left, and several others trying to touch me. They would smile at me and tell me things in Bahasa - I still have no idea what they were saying!

I have many other stories of the women and young girls appreciating my presence. It meant so much to them to have an American woman visit! They rarely see white people and Americans yet they know of the greatness (i.e. the wealth, success, freedom) of our nation and the Western culture; to have Americans visit is exciting. But what's more precious to the women and young girls is to have a WOMAN visit. 

Most of the women in the village have spent their adult lives (probably adulthood beginning in the teen years) having children, raising children, and working the fields and farms and sewing/making things. It's the quintessential "have babies and take care of the home" life. They have a low level of education and likely have not been very far out of the village, certainly not out of the country. The girls have more opportunities if they are able to go to good schools - which more often than not means going off to school in the city. So, to them, to have an American woman visit who has the freedoms we Americans have, is educated, and is able to teach and travel is exciting. I imagine it was pretty exciting to have someone like this who took the time to visit them and was interested in their lives. 

I tell these stories - and note that I have MANY others that are similar - to encourage you all that sometimes just your presence is enough! As much as our work in Indonesia was ministry, simply our presence there was ministry! 

More specifically, I want to encourage all of you women and young adults! In 1 Timothy 4 verse 12, Paul charges Timothy to not let anyone look down on him because he is young but to continue loving people and setting an example to other believers. Women, we likewise can be charged to not let anyone look down on us for being women, but to continue to love and set an example for other believers. We as young adults and women who are believers have a special role and place in the Kingdom. We are no better than men or those of another age, but we are no less either. 

I was able to have an impact in ways that the men on my team could not. I am not diminishing their roles and the mighty impact they made on the trip, but I am recognizing the different role I had. I was able to reach the women and young girls in a way the guys couldn't. That alone made the trip worth it to me!

Ladies, please consider the impact you can have! Don't underestimate your role in the Kingdom. Be bold and courageous and stand firm in the faith! (1 Cor. 16:13) We in the Kingdom are ALL called to ministry and witness at some level. Women and youth, do not forget this! You have a special place, a special role, and a special call! 



No comments:

Post a Comment